Replacing Missing or Lost Password
If you lose your password AND private key, you can still recover. Follow these simple steps:
- Stop the instance.
- Snapshot the instance's root volume.
- Create a template from the snapshot.
- Create a new VM using this new template.
- Create and store a new key pair as you configure the new VM.
- Start the new VM and retrieve the password it was assigned using the key pair you created.
The only downside to this is the modest amount of time the VM will be off line.